Thursday, March 22, 2012

Bathroom Transformation: From Mediocre to Medieval

I went to Florida to visit my dad, a retired Air Force Colonel,  a few months ago to help him with his bathroom renovation. He had recently returned from a trip to Germany, and was inspired by the beautiful, Medieval Castles. He decided to take his master bathroom way back in time by giving it a Middle-aged, European ambiance. When he decides to do something, he doesn't just take it half way. I guess this is partly where I get my creativity from. 
By the time I arrived, he had already gutted the entire bathroom.

Dad's bathroom;  Before renovation

Dad's custom cabinets















My job was to transform the white bathroom doors and the cabinets he had just custom built out of mdf (medium density fiberboard, an engineered wood).

The goal was to make them look as if they had been around for centuries. I used layers of products to get that "aged", dark rich wood look, and added an embossed design, highlighted in luscious golds and silvers. Dad had purchased some unfinished beams that were made of condensed Styrofoam, that my step mom and I  faux finished to look like real wooden beams for the ceiling.
 


condensed Styrofoam that I transformed into aged ceiling beams
Dad transformed the rest of the room by hanging fabricated stone on the walls, laying new tile, and adding exquisite lighting and fixtures. We worked long days but managed to take a refreshing break once or twice.














                                                                 

The results... 



                                                         

To see more of my decorative art or hire me (Dallas/Ft. Worth area) to faux finish your walls, ceilings, cabinetry, etc., please visit Creative Wall Designs
To purchase original oil or acrylic paintings, click on Chris Brandley Originals

2 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS!!!

    I really like the beams, and stonework. But the finishes are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really enjoyed working with my dad. With him living so far away it's not very often that we get to do something like this together.

      Delete