Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Runaway Canvas

During one of our "Serotonin" meetings recently, my friend Charice and I walked out onto her back deck and realized what a beautiful day it was to go and do some Plein Air painting. We quickly threw our things together and headed for Grapevine. I set up my easel by the vintage train, on a slight incline in the gravel between the train tracks. I couldn't resist the colors and rusting metal on one of the train cars.

Charice parked several feet away, deciding on another train car to paint. As soon as I set up, I knew what a challenge this would be. My easel wasn't exactly stable, sitting on the gravel on a hill, and suddenly the wind decided to pick up. If you've ever been to Texas in the spring, you know it can feel like a wind tunnel. The sun began bearing down and it was getting hot. As soon as I dipped my paint brush into the paint, it dried in the heat and wind as quickly as I moved it to the canvas. I had to work fast. I glanced over at Charice, who was close enough to see, but too far away to have a conversation. She was smart. She had parked on the level platform in the shade, and seemed to be peacefully whipping up a masterpiece.
It may look like fun, but looks can be deceiving!

Charice working on her masterpiece

I drudge on. Paint fast, grip the canvas tightly for fear it would blow away; let go momentarily to grab a runaway paper towel, and off the canvas goes, like a kite in the wind,  rolling down the tracks. I run after it only to come back to a collapsed easel. After 2 or 3 repeats, and a sunburn later,  I get the majority painted,  enough to finish up in the studio. I desperately glance Charice's direction and see that she's chasing her canvas down the platform. I feel bad, but it actually makes me feel a little better that she's sharing my pain. I run over to help her. As I take off my sunglasses, she bursts out laughing b/c I have two white rings around my eyes outlined by the sunburn. We agree it's time to pack up and go home. We chalk it up to another one of our adventures.





Grapevine Vintage Train







I did my final touch ups to the  painting in the studio. Hopefully the next outing won't be as windy!
To view and purchase other paintings, please visit Chris Brandley Originals

1 comment:

  1. That's very nice, Chris! I do like the way you captured the rusting colors :)

    ReplyDelete